I've had a rough afternoon, guys.
I come bearing raccoon pictures!!
Yep, today we returned to the smelly vet, where I'm please to report they'd cleaned up a bit, so the odor in the building wasn't quite so overpowering.
We arrived stressed and - in my case - somewhat hysterical, since I'd inadvertently managed to poison my cat by applying the wrong kind of ointment to a scratch on her arm. I'm only telling you this so none of you make my mistake: normal antibiotic ointment is usually fine for felines, but not those with painkillers added. The painkillers are toxic. We had a new tube of antibiotic, and I'm ashamed to say I just didn't look at it closely enough.
I noticed within an hour that something was wrong; Lily seemed a little lethargic and unfocused. I quickly Googled the medicine I'd used and then proceeded to have the Freak Out to End All Freak Outs. Seriously. I thought I'd killed my cat, screaming for John and...well, it wasn't pretty. You guys should send John supportive cards or something.
The good news is I'd bandaged Lily's arm, so she hadn't been able to lick the ointment. We also cleaned it off immediately and rushed her to the vet. By the time we arrived she already seemed back to normal, but they injected some "sub dermal fluids" to help flush it out anyway.
And, since we were in the same room again - the one across from the baby raccoon - this time I opened the door and took a few lousy photos for you with John's phone:
The raccoon didn't seem much bigger from last time, and was a constant bundle of energy so it was hard to get a clear picture. She was absolutely enthralled with that dog bone.
This one's my favorite:
Too cute. It was nice to have a distraction while pacing and worrying and generally feeling like an accidental murderer.
another blood test, as we're still hunting down the culprit of her mysterious weight loss.
To quote Inigo Montoya, I hate waiting.