I mentioned last week my fuzzy photo problem with Blogger lately. Since then, I've learned it has to do with the way Blogger scales our pictures down (essentially showing a large thumbnail instead of the full-sized photo), and I've also learned that Flickr doesn't look too kindly upon bloggers using their site as a photo host. (Which is odd, since they make it so easy to blog directly from Flickr. However, I'm assured by my friends at Neatorama that this is the case, and that Flickr will shut off your account if you do so.) I figured I should let you all know, in case any of you were thinking of using Flickr as an image host like I was.
However, thanks to reader Sammy, I now have an easier solution than Flickr that works just as well: use the direct image link from Picasa (where Blogger hosts your photos anyway) to get your full-sized, unscaled photo placed directly in your blog post.
- Upload your photo as you normally would to Blogger.
- Once it's in your post, right-click your image and open it in a new tab.
- Copy the URL in that tab
- Return to your upload screen, and paste that URL in this spot:
- Hit "upload image", and you'll have your full-sized photo uploaded to the post. Which means it's gonna be HUGE. So, next:
- Resize your honkin' photo by either dragging the corner or popping into the html and correcting the height and width there.
To keep the proportions correct, I've been inputting the same dimensions as the first photo I uploaded in the html, and then switching to the compose screen to drag the corner and make the photo as large as I want there.
Because it's your original photo, and not a scaled version or thumbnail, you can upsize it this way without losing detail.
Obviously this is still an extra step and a pain, but the difference in clarity for those of us who want to show off a pretty photo from time to time is amazing. It will also allow you to make your photos as large as you want without losing detail, and there's no added expense of a separate photo host, since your pictures are already on Picasa anyway.
I hope this helps some of you fellow bloggers! And thanks to everyone who offered tips and advice along the way!
Add the Epbot Button to Your Blog!
Right-click this image to save it, and then hyperlink it to www.Epbot.com on your blog sidebar. Voila! The world becomes a better place.
- ► 2015 (141)
- ► 2014 (150)
- ► 2013 (159)
- ► 2012 (232)
- Milk Jug Photo Studio
- My Steampunk Flux Capacitor Pin
- How to Find Me at Dragon*Con
- Friday Fun Links
- My Book Tour Has Officially Been Out-Geeked
- Every Geek Home Needs...
- One Size Fits All?! (A Short Girl's Rant)
- $10 Geek Tees? Yes, Please!
- This Is Why I Love Conventions
- Saturday Steam 8/20/11
- I'll Buy THAT for $4
- You Can't Take the Carrots From Me
- World of Geek Craft 8/16/11
- On Behalf of a Grateful Granddaughter
- Quick Craft: Seahorse Candle
- I <3 Allie of Hyperbole and a Half
- Cross-Viewing is SO COOL
- What I'm Reading: Quick Reviews
- STAY ON TARGET
- Photo Upload Update
- How Geeks Keep Calm
- Procrastination Station 8/3/11
- The Song John Won't Stop Singing
- Blogger's Fuzzy Photo Problem
- ▼ August (24)